Tuesday, October 11, 2011

missin' you.

have you ever had a friend a million miles away?

but they're still a friend, even though you can't see each other?

i do.

i have lots of them.


but one inparticular is in canada serving a mission for the lds church.






he is one of my very best friends.
we were close before he left,
but we've become especially close as he's been gone.
he is such an example to me.
sometimes i call his phone and leave him voice messages,
because something will happen and i'll be so excited to tell him.
sometimes i wish he could call me back.
instead,
he writes me THE nicest emails every week.
and is always sending me packages.

i look forward to mondays
 because at noon, i get to read the most hilarious, witty, thoughtful, sincere, uplifting emails from this kid.

yesterday was monday,
and so like i always do, i opened my inbox at noon.
no email.
so i checked at one.
no email.
two
three
four.
no email.

so sad! this was the first time in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time that there was nothing.
i didn't realize how much i loved hearing about his week, and reading what he had to say,
until i couldn't.

so today i had to check my email for class,
and there was an unopened email waiting for me from him.
it was probably one of the nicest ones he's ever sent,
which says a lot.

he has been gone exactly a year
from yesterday.
it's amazing how much happens in a year.
how fast it goes.
but also, how long ago it seems.

so today,
i'm grateful for a wonderful friend
that genuinely cares about everything going on in my life.
i'm grateful that he is serving
and learning/growing so much every week.
i'm grateful for the little daily joys in my life
like emails.



i'm grateful for technology,
and the fact that we can send letters
via internet.




because sometimes getting letters is overwhelming,
although i do love it.
i'm loving his latest package, though.


thanks dude.




today is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment